What makes a great Anti-Virus software solution?In the computer world where there are new viruses and worms every day* it is difficult to know which anti-virus software solution is best for you. Here is a list of what we at Anti-Virus Software Review believe are the best attributes of anti-virus software.
* Ease of Use – How easy is it to install the software? How easy is it to go from installation to scanning for infected files?
* Effective at Identifying Viruses and Worms – Does the product quickly identify infected files with a realtime scanner* whether it comes via email* IM Apps* web browsing* etc.?
* Effective at Cleaning or Isolating Infected Files –Does the product thoroughly clean* delete* or quarantine the infected file to stop the spread of the virus and save the rest of your system/network?
* Activity reporting – You should be able to view what each demand scan found and what it did with any infected files. You should also be notified immediately of any infection found with the realtime scanner.
* Feature Set – What type of scanning engines are used? Does the product rely on realtime scanning only? Can you schedule a time when your files will be inspected or specify what files will be inspected? Are the features easy to access and understand?
* Ease of Installation and Setup – How easy is it to install the software? How easy is it to go from installation to a scanning for infected files?
* Help Documentation – Is there a help document available? How useful is it? Is it easily understood without relying on technical jargon? Can you find your answers easily?
With the correct anti-virus software application you can feel comfortable knowing that your files are protected.
So here is our top 10 antivirus List:
1. BitDefender 9 Professional Plus
SOFTWIN's BitDefender 9 Professional Plus combines antivirus* antispam* and firewall protection in a single package. The antivirus engine has received certification from numerous independent labs* and its HiVE (Heuristics in Virtual Environment) module works to detect new threats before a signature is available. Its antispam integrates with Outlook but can work with any client; this version adds anti-phishing protection. And its firewall monitors Internet access by programs* blocks dialers and malicious ActiveX controls* and filters out unwanted cookies.
Trend Micro's PC-cillin 2005 is an excellent Anti-Virus software product. This is a great choice for those beginners that haven't delved into the Anti-Virus/Firewall world. It is extremely easy to install and easy to use. What really stands out in PC-cillin is that it is the only product reviewed that included a firewall. Most firewalls cost in-between $40.00 to $60.00 by themselves. When you factor in that PC-cillin includes Anti-Virus* firewall* PDA* and wireless protection* all in one product* you can't beat the price. McAfee and Norton have both been the dominant players in the marketplace* but Trend Micro's PC-cillin has surpassed both products.
3. McAfee Internet Security
Proven security that protects your digital lifestyle
Internet Security Suite
* Protects irreplaceable files* such as family photos and personal financial documents
* Identifies spyware and adware before they can run on your PC
* Blocks unwanted inbound and outbound Internet traffic
* Filters unwanted and malicious e-mails and ‘phishing’ web sites
* Prevents most offensive online content* including pop-ups and ads
* Enhances privacy with a digital document shredder
* Updates automatically to protect against new threats
The PC has become the hub for your digital lifestyle. You store your digital assets – photos* movies* music* resume* and other valuable documents – on your PC. You use the Internet for digital communications* including e-mail* instant messaging* online shopping* and banking. This combination has created the perfect environment for viruses* spyware* and hackers to threaten your PC* data* and identity.
Proven security that protects your digital lifestyle* McAfee Internet Security Suite prevents viruses* blocks hackers* identifies spam and protects your identity.
4. AVG ANti-Virus
AVG Anti-Virus 7.0 is a great program. It has everything you need in an Anti-Virus program; email scanning to include email attachments* boot scanning* and auto updating of the virus definitions. From the basic interface you can quickly do one of three tests:
. Complete Test - Scans all hard drives on your computer.
. Removable Media Test - Scans floppies* CDs* Optical disks* external hard drives* etc.
. Quick Test -- Scans the most important areas/files on your computer.
5. F-Secure Anti-Virus
F-Secure Anti-Virus is a great anti-virus software application that relies on its real-time scanner to keep your files clean when they are being accessed. Most other AV software programs will have a scheduler along with real-time scanning to protect your files. You still have the option to manually:
. Scan all local hard disks
. Scan Diskette
. Select folder to scan.
6. Norton AntiVirus
The Norton AntiVirus 2005 is very easy to install and set up for novices* although it was slow* taking longer to install than most other packages even after the pre-scan was finished. The interface is logical and easy to use. The default settings provide excellent protection against e-mail viruses* SMTP worms* and Trojan horses by scanning both incoming and outgoing e-mail and repairing any infected files.
7. F-Prot for Windows
F-Prot for Windows v3.16b is an easy to install and easy to use anti-virus program. It has a nice interface although it would be better if the options were available from the Taskbar instead of from the Start Menu or desktop. The options are straight forward and practical. They include right-click* on-demand* on-access and scheduled scanning.
8. Kaspersky Anti-Virus Personal Pro
Kaspersky Lab* a leading information security software developer* announces the release of a new version of Kaspersky® Anti-Virus Personal Pro. The solution is designed to provide comprehensive antivirus protection for home computers.
In comparison to version 4.5* Kaspersky Anti-Virus Personal Pro 5.0 incorporates a range of improvements and upgrades which significantly improve program performance and extend the solution's functionality. Kaspersky Anti-Virus Personal Pro scans more than 900 archived and compressed file formats for viruses* and can disinfect archive files in ZIP* CAB* RAR and ARJ format. In addition to this* the solution can detect malicious code even if a file has been compressed several times. All incoming mail messages are automatically scanned before they are delivered to the end user mailbox* and outgoing mail is scanned in real time. Incoming mail can be disinfected. In addition to this* mail bases for a range of mail clients can be scanned* and MS Outlook and Outlook Express mail bases can be disinfected on demand. The solution offers support for mobile users* and protects against riskware - these are programs which are not classified as viruses* but which may use malicious software as an additional component or harm victim machines.
Since August 2004* Kaspersky Lab has been releasing antivirus database updates on an hourly basis. Updates can be downloaded via this site.
Kaspersky Personal Pro differs from Kaspersky Anti-Virus Personal as it is designed for more experienced users. The solution incorporates the Office Guard module* which fully protects all MS Office documents against macro viruses. Personal Pro detects malicious code in Mic**$oft Outlook mail messages* and can disinfect such messages* regardless of what protocol is used to connect to the mail server. Constant monitoring of Visual Basic macros protects Mic**$oft Office documents. Users of Personal Pro are also offered a range of additional configuration options: a configurable task list* which includes system tasks such as full scanning of the computer; updating of antivirus databases and scanning on launch* separate configuration of individual tasks* and back up copies of individual objects being saved to the Backup storage before objects are disinfected or deleted.
9. eTrust EZ Antivirus
eTrust EZ Antivirus 2005 Version 7 does a good job protecting your files. Its interface takes a different approach than other Anti-Virus software. The interface uses an Explorer-like file tree* which you use to select individual files and folders for scanning. I find this interface a little cumbersome.
10. Panda Anti-Virus
Panda Titanium 2005 anti-virus software is easy to install and setup. It has a very consistent appearance between the different screens that looks great and makes sense. Their Titanium product has fewer options than many AV programs but for many people it is easier to install* setup and configure.
Password : Updatesofts.com